Fitting Fascias & Soffits
Pre- Installation Requirements for Fascias & Soffits
- Ensure all Health & Safety guidelines are adhered to.
- Remove all existing timbers and rainwater system to allow for a full roofline replacement where possible of fascias and soffits.
- Remove first 2 layers of tiles where necessary to allow for inspection of felt, with a view to replacement with new ventilation, eaves protection systems and breathable membrane.
- Check rafters to ensure the timber is structurally sound and free from rot. Also check to ensure they are plumb and level. This will ensure the fascia board lines through with the roofline.
- Any rafters showing signs of rot should be cut out and replaced on refurbishment projects.
- New build, timber rafters must be at a maximum of 600mm for all white fascias, and no more than 400mm for foiled fascias.
- New build, Soffit bearers must be at a maximum of 600mm for all white soffits, and no more than 400mm for foiled profiles.
- Suitable gable framing must be provided to securely fix Bargeboards.
Installation Procedure for Fascias & Soffits
- Install pre-measured length of soffit board using 40mm A4 Marine grade stainless Polytop Nails. To join soffits use soffit joint trim (GSJTW) and leave a minimum of 10mm expansion gap between joints.
- Select the appropriate height and profile of fascia board and fix using 2 x 65mm A4 Marine grade stainless Plastic Headed Nails. When using over fascia ventilation please allow for this in the overall height.
- Fix at a minimum of 600mm centres for white fascias, and 400mm for foiled fascias.
- To join fascias please select the appropriate joints depending on your profile, and leave a minimum of 10mm expansion gap between joints.
- To finish a corner profile, please select the appropriate corner detail. To fix use low modulus neutral cure silicone, or super glue to one side. By only fixing on one side, this allows for movement for expansion and contraction in different climates.
- Install ventilation directly to the top of the fascia board if required maintaining air path to complying with building regulations.
- Install rainwater system, fixing brackets directly into fascia board using 25mm stainless steel screws.